Wednesday, May 9, 2007

And the fun begins.....

The annual rites of spring have begun for Jane an I. After filling up two vehicles in Anchorage with box store goodies we made the three hour drive to Beaver Creek. I forget how beautiful the drive is through the mountains and around the ocean. Every time I make the drive it's not until we reach Kenai Lake (the headwaters of the mighty Kenai) that I feel like I've truly arrived. For those of you who have made the drive I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. The glacial, tourquoise tint of the water is like none other in the world. Jane and I feel fortunate to call this home for six months out of the year.

We arrived at Beaver Creek to find everything in good shape. Jane has already finished painting the inside of one cabin and I've replaced an old set of steps. We plan to stain the exterior of two cabins, replace two water heaters, put out the dock, and remodel the Coho cabin. We hope to have all this done by the end of the month. Shouldn't be a problem because we are not that busy yet and the sun is coming up at 5:30am and setting at 10:30pm....lots of daylight makes for long, productive days.

Some new news on my office (boat). Because Jane had to bail me out on several occasions last season, due to motor difficulties, she insisted that I put on a new motor for this season.

Poor me.

Tomorrow I will try to find a lake that is ice free and slowly break the motor in. It'll take about ten hours and I'll need to have it done before my first trip on May 20th. I could take it out on the river but the water is extremely low and I don't want to damage my lower unit on my first outing. Most of you see the Kenai in the summer and would be amazed how low it is in the spring. Unlike most rivers in the lower 48, the Kenai, which is glacier fed, is at it's maximum water volume in the heat of the summer. This is always a strange thing for a kid who grew up next to the Mississippi River/Minnesota River.

We will soon start adding pictures to the blog. I'm not quite sure how to do it, but I know Jane will figure it out.

To steal my brother's sign off.........Later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys
Great to see the blog. Thinking of you as usual. Wish I was there. Opener winding up here in MN for this weekend. Jane, the boys will be getting together on Round again w our boys. Anyone considering Beaver Creek and Halibut trip with Capn Peter K in Homer should do it. It is a blast!

Phil

Anonymous said...

Hey Keith/Jane

My mind is always on the Kenai River and Beaver Creek..I'll never forget the summer of 05 and hoped to be back this summer...but a little heart surgery slowed down those plans...You guys were great hosts and my fondest memories will always be those 10 days in Alaska. hope to see you in 08

george french

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys:)

This is such a great idea!!! We can't wait for more info and pictures. And, of course, we can't wait to see you both, again. August will not be here soon enough!! Keith, after reading your description of the drive to the cabin, Dan and I decided maybe we should arrive in Anchorage in the daylight instead of the middle of the night!!! We usually only get to enjoy the view on the way back - then we don't want to leave:) Thank you both for always making our trip so much fun - See you soon:)

Dan and Mary Meyer

Anonymous said...

Keith and Jane,

Just reading about the drive from Anchorage to Kenai really makes me envious. I have made that drive many times. After living in Alaska during my years in the army from 1989-1992 and having returned three times since, I can honestly say it has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. On my most recent trip to Alaska with George, Bryan, Neal and I (the Florida Boys), in June of 2005, you guys far exceeded any expectations about what it is like to fish on the Kenai River and Stay at Beaver Creek Cabins. It really was first class all the way. Thanks for the hospitality and awesome memories. Frequently during the fishing season, I log on to check the latest fishing reports just to see what I am missing. I had hoped to return this summer, but as bad as I hate to do it, I am going to put it off ‘til next year. If anyone is considering a fishing trip on the Kenai River, Beaver Creek Cabins and Guide Service is the way to go! No Doubt!

Alex Webb