Sunday, June 1, 2008

Should've been here.....tomorrow!

On Saturday I fished Mike and Kathy (forgive me if I have your name incorrect because I'm drawing a blank) from the best lake in all of Minnesota, Mille Lacs. The weather was cool, the moose and eagles were out, but the salmon were hard to find. Zippo, not a a bite on our trip. We did see, however, two fish caught. Definitely a tough day of "catching" for the fleet.


About midday of our trip I received a phone call that the Kenai River would be open to bait fishing starting on June 1st (the earliest that I know of). The Alaska Department of Fish and Game felt that there are enough king salmon in the river to liberalize fishing methods. There's not doubt the catch rate will go up and as I've said in the past I'm three times better as a guide with bait. I'm a little bit uneasy with this decision, however. I tend to be more of a conservationist when it comes to king salmon so time will tell if this was good move by ADF&G to open the river to bait early.


So, after our day of fishing on Saturday I said to Mike and Kathy, "should've been here....tomorrow!" Timing is everything when it comes to this fishery.

No comments: