Friday, May 22, 2009

Halibut, Cod, but no Kings



Yesterday was exciting time to be fishing in Cook Inlet. I went out with some friends and it was one of the best days that I've had fishing for halibut. We caught at least 60 halibut......each! Needless to say my whole body hurts.
We started out trolling for kings but had no luck. We switched over to halibut and after a couple of moves we found the honey spot about 30 miles out from Homer. There were times that the halibut were in so thick that my jig never found the bottom. The largest was about 50lbs but on average they were 15-20lbs. I've caught larger fish but this by far was the most action that I've seen for a whole boat.
So the fishing was great, the camaraderie as well, but the best part of the trip was the ocean was completely FLAT the whole time (check out the water in picture above). I, for one, am prone to being seasick and this was a welcome relief.
So here's an update on the Kenai for salmon fishing. The sonar count has been picking up as of late. Yesterday 79 kings passed through the counter. The trend has been up so hopefully the bite will pick up over the weekend.
For all of you fishing over the weekend, good luck. Otherwise have a safe Memorial weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome.

You da man, Keith.

Anonymous said...

Yea for the no sea sickness-what is the amount you are allowed to keep or did you keep any? I know they are a mighty tasty fish!

Anonymous said...

Your limit for halibut is 2. We all kept our limit.

Keith