Monday, March 14, 2011

Xtratuf Boots


Outside of my fishing equipment probably the gear I cherish the most are my Xtratuf boots. You must be thinking that I'm really scraping for topics but these boots are unbelievable in Alaska. Don't believe me? Next time you watch any of the shows on the Discovery Channel or TLC about Alaska look at what the locals are wearing. The majority are wearing Xtratufs. They are an Alaskan standard.

Why Xtratufs? Because they handle the conditions found in Alaska. They keep your feet dry, they're snug, and they rarely slip on wet surfaces. Would I wear them in the winter? Usually not, but they handle the other three seasons wonderfully. They come insulated, uninsulated, and in steel toed (for the crabbers and other occupations where your feet may get crushed). There are three styles: above the calf, mid calf, and the low cut "Alaska Sneaker." Cost? Not bad. They come in around $80 and unlike cheap rubber boots you can get many, many years out of them.

When a person jumps in my boat and they're wearing these boots I know that I'm dealing with an Alaskan. Only once in all my years has someone fished with me wearing Xtratufs and they weren't an Alaskan. Mike Hoops, who is master brewmeister in Minnesota, wears these boots for work. I believe Mike worked in Alaska years ago so he's kind of an Alaskan, and that's where he was introduced to Xtratufs.

Before I go I'll tell you about an Xtratuf moment that Jane and I had a couple of years ago. One of my guide friends was married in the middle of the summer. The ceremony was held at a lodge just down the road from us. It was a nice intimate setting on a perfect day. Part way through the vows I leaned over to Jane and whispered to her, "is the minister wearing Xtratufs?" Sure enough he was.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite an essay on boots Keith! You just never know the hidden talent of some people. Sorry I haven't been a faithful poster lately....I'll try to get back on track!

George

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Thanks George....You know my mother hasn't been a faithful poster lately either.

Keith

Anonymous said...

Aren't those the boots that Lars had to have when Rico and I were there at the same time he an John were there?
Must be good boots if Lars needs a pair!!
peter

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

When Lars first came up he wanted to be "Alaskan" and one of his first purchases were Xtratuffs.

Dave Anderson said...

so, do you get the insulated or uninsulated?

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Insulated!

Ash Green said...

Thank you so much for such an informative piece of information :)
If anyone interested similar one's have a look here
the shoesfinder

Thanks