Monday, May 27, 2013

Fishing Report Week Ending 5/27/13.


I was out on the river a couple of times this past week with my old college buddy, Eric and his friends Rob and Greg.   To sum it up, the fishing was great, the catching not so great.   This is the second year in a row that Eric and Rob have been the first on my "shakedown" cruise.  It's also the second year in a row that we've been fishless.  Apparently the experience hasn't been that bad because this was the note they left me.   Hey guys, maybe in 2014,  the "third time will be the charm!"



I think it was a combination of two things why we didn't get the net wet.  Number one, it's been a very late spring, in fact, the water lines froze on the cabins twice this week.  This leads to excuse number two: low number of salmon in the river.   On one of the days we were out a researcher from Fish and Game told us that one salmon had passed the sonar.   It made us feel like Lloyd from the movie Dumb and Dumber, "....so you're telling us we have a chance."  One thing we were perfect on was moose viewing.  Two days, two moose.  The photo above Rob and Greg were watching a young bull walking the shoreline.  Eric, as you can see, wanted to be ready for his photo op and could care less about a moose.


Eric, Rob, and Greg are in Alaska because they were tagging along with their wives.   Terri, Debbie, and Tara were presenting at an education conference in Anchorage.  I'm sure they had a tough time convincing the guys to accompany them.   I don't know about you but I think the three should be nominated to the "Wives of the Month Club."


On to other things.  Saturday morning looked like the perfect tide to get the dock out.  Our friends Vern and Nancy wanted to help and I told them to come at 4:30 am.   Guess what?  What I thought was enough water to float the dock wasn't.   I  promised them if they came back Sunday morning the tide would be larger and there would be plenty of water to put the dock in.    Thanks for the help, Vern.  The extra set of hands came in handy.



The week ahead is a quiet one for me.  I have a lot of off water chores to do but I should be able to find some time to sneak out and fish.  At the very least I should be able to get out on my much belated Kenai River salvage run.

See you next week.

No comments: