Monday, July 15, 2013

Fishing Report Week Ending 7/15/13


My prediction last week for the most part held true.  The average size of the king salmon improved but the total numbers entering the river still remains below average.    If the numbers do not improve this week I suspect ADF&G will have no other alternative but to restrict the sport and commercial fishery.   I am, however, cautiously optimistic that no further actions will be needed.

On to the report.  I had a great day on the water with the Johnson family.  They just finished a cruise through the Inside Passage and decided to work a day in on the Kenai.  Great weather and a 45 pound king salmon capped their trip to Alaska.   Steve, pictured above, was proud to tell me that this was the biggest fish he's ever caught.   When he got it into the net he said that it would tow a muskie backwards!  No doubt, king salmon fight hard.

Debbie Dreyer and her daughter Jen spent an afternoon with me.  Although not a king, this red salmon made for a great dinner.   It's always fun to have Debbie in the boat because she always has some kind of cosmic connection with the river.   I started to think about all the time I've spent on the water with Debbie and to the best of my recollection she has always caught a fish.  Next time we'll have to get Phil out there with us because, like Debbie, he's about as fishy as they come.
This was a first.   I've been told that the Kenai River has  a small run of pink salmon on the odd years but I've never seen one with my own eyes.   That's Jake Miller finally producing evidence that there are pinks in the river not just during the even years.  
Finally, I rounded out the week taking these guys out.   Nice job Ken, Jim, and Matt on the reds.

So, on to the week ahead....I have my fingers crossed for the king fishery.  On the other hand, I have no problem saying the red salmon fishing will be very good to excellent.

See you next time.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All trips on the Kenai are magical for me but catching a red that dances and jumps like a silver during the King run was great...let's do it again. Keith and Jane you are the best
Debbie

Hugo said...

This is cool!