Monday, May 19, 2014

Another Anniversary

(not a world record but close!)


I'm writing about this event now because I'll be too busy fishing on the actual day of this legendary anniversary.  25 years ago, a Minnesota man set a Guinness World Record for the longest fight of a fish, WITHOUT landing the fish.   If you click here you'll be able to read the whole story.

For those of you who didn't click on the link, here's a quick summary. On July 12th, 1989, Bob Ploeger hooked a king salmon on the Kenai River which turned into an epic 37.5 hour fight.   Eventually, the king salmon dubbed "Boss Hog", won the battle. Ploeger's fight shattered the previous Guinness record by more than five hours.  To the best of my knowledge the record still stands.

Could the next "Boss Hog" be caught in 2014?


2 comments:

King George said...

Yes on July 15,2014

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

I love you George. I bet Jane you would be the first to comment so I win..... I'm going to bring extra batteries for my camera on July 15th. See you soon.