Sunday, August 3, 2014

Fishing Report Week Ending 8/3/14


I'm a lucky guy.   I love my life and I'm surrounded by a lot of great people.  This past week epitomized my good fortune:  the boat was loaded with a lot of people I really enjoy being on the water with.  

The majority of my time was spent with Team Oregon, which consists of  Kathy, Peg, Karen and Susie.   About 12 years ago they first fished with me and they immediately earned the status of Beaver Creek All Stars.   Let's just say their fishing ability and attitudes are second to none.

Team Oregon methodically plying the waters for red salmon
They weren't too concerned when they learned that the king salmon season had closed early.  As long as they could be fishing for something it was all good.  Our attention turned to red, silver, and pink salmon.


Not a bad haul.  In fact, a couple of these reds were pushing 12 pounds.

Last year at the Duluth Sport Show we met brothers Rick and Kevin. They originally planned on taking a cruise to Alaska but after a long conversation, Jane and I convinced them they should see the State on their own. They were happy they took our advice.  We were too.   I had such an enjoyable day fishing with these guys.
  
With the red run dwindling, on August 1st, I took Don (longtime fishing friend, and a Release A Hog recipient), Shannon, Karen and Doug out after pink and silver salmon.   We had no luck on silver salmon but everyone caught as many pink salmon as they wanted.   Here's Don with his Charlie Brown fish.   "I got a candy bar, I got some bubble gum, I got a rock!"   All I can say is it takes a lot of skill to put a hook in a rock.
Do you think the pink salmon are in?   On Saturday morning I ran down to the Pasture to meet the incoming tide.   The pinks were everywhere.   The silvers, not so much.
Do you think Conner had a good time?   When our trip was over on Sunday I asked him if he caught more than 30 fish.  His response, "way more."   I had a lot of fun with Conner, his dad Steve, and Aunt Carol and Uncle Jim.

Hopefully, the week ahead will bring more silvers into the river.   There's been a few caught so far but I guess I shouldn't be too alarmed because it's only August 3rd.   See you next week with another fishing report from the Kenai.

Oops, I almost forgot.  My friends Eric and Terri Barclay came down to fish Friday evening.  I feel proud that Terri caught her very first salmon in my boat.  Unfortunately, I have no photos of our time on the water, but I figure they at least deserved a shout out....


2 comments:

Terri Barclay said...

Thank you, Keith! We had a wonderful time with you and Jane!

KJ said...

As always, our time at Beaver Creek Cabins and on the Kenai River goes by way too fast! Thank you, Keith, for working so long and hard to find fish for us to catch regardless of river conditions and changing regulations. Thank you, Jane, for making our stay so pleasant and welcoming. We look forward to our next visit.
Team Oregon