Monday, September 15, 2014

Fishing Report Week Ending 9/14/14

I think the peak of the second run of silver salmon came a week early.   Don't get me wrong, the catching was decent but the bite definitely was slower.   Well, for almost everyone it was slower, with the exception of Mary Meyer.   Mary pulled off a pure hat trick, catching her three fish limit in under 15 minutes.  All I can say is her Kit Kat mojo really paid off.
"Esko" Bill and "Thompson" Kenny had a great week in Alaska.   They spent some time with me on the river and found quite a few other fishing spots on the peninsula to fish on their own.
Here's Dan, Ron, Joe, and Jeff after a day on the water.   It's always a great day for me to be in the boat with guys who have done this before.   We've all had more productive days on the Kenai, but this wasn't bad either.

On Friday and Saturday I was a participant in the Women's Classic event.   Lot's of fun fishing boat loads of women.   If you notice in the photo of above, the event was about "Wild Women, Wild Salmon."    Not everyone in my boat landed a silver but at least everyone had one on.  I think the saying, "Fishing is the least important part of fishing" characterized this event.  Definitely a weekend for people to network.
I ended the week fishing with Joe, Ron, Jeff and Rafael (pictured above).    I thought with the timing of the trip and having a moderate tide the fishing would be much better (so did Dan Meyer). We fished in the morning and caught one fish.  We went back out in the evening and squeaked out three more.  It was no surprise to anyone that the only limit was caught by Rafael.    He's the best red salmon fisherman that I've been around so it's only natural that his fish whispering skills would work for silvers as well.  The kid can flat out fish.

My week ahead is nearly full and my only prediction is that we'll give it our all out there.  Some years the bite remains steady until October, and some years it slows down to what feels like a king trip. I can't wait to see what happens.




No comments: