Sunday, November 9, 2014

Eagle Rock...Swift Water Boat Rescue Exercises

From September 17th until September 28th, Kenai hosted the 2014 Alaska Fire Conference.   250 firemen from across the state attended. The theme of the conference was "Physical Preparedness and Operational Readiness."   During the eleven days they spent one day training on the Kenai River and I just happened to be lucky enough to be on the water to observe it.
I watched the firemen cycle from the boat, to Eagle Rock, back to the boat, and to Eagle Rock again. This went on for several hours.
At the end of their exercises I definitely had the confidence that if I fell into the river there are firemen who trained for this emergency and are ready to rescue me.

On the ligher side. This day also added to my litany of Kenai River stories.   I'm oftened asked if I've ever seen an eagle on Eagle Rock.  I haven't, but next time, without hesitation, I can say, "no, but I've seen 10 firemen on it."



No comments: