Sunday, October 18, 2015

Fishing Report Week Ending 10/18/15

It ain't over until it's over.  For this past week, it definitely wasn't over.

I got a text Thursday morning from my friend Brad Adams asking if I wanted to go fish the middle Kenai river with him. Brad is a former Kenai guide extraordinaire who left the river for a career as a bush pilot.  Because of that he doesn't get to fish like he use to.  He told me his goal was to get a few silvers for the freezer and I said I would be happy to help him.


Mission accomplished.  In two hours of casting kwikfish, we kept 6 nice silver salmon.
Friday morning I get another text from Brad asking if I wanted to go fishing again.  Now he said he'd like to get a few silvers for the smoker.  In an hour we landed these six silvers.  Thanks Brad, glad I could help you sock away a few fish for the winter.
While I was fishing with Brad on Friday, I got a text message from my old pal Jeff Raisanen.  He keeps a boat in Homer and wanted to king fish on Saturday.  His problem was he was coming with his 2 year old son, Ross, and he needed another adult on board.  Why not?   Within the first ten minutes of trolling around the Homer Spit, Jeff lands this nice feeder king.
About ten minutes after our first fish this 28lb king slammed the lure.  It was by far the largest feeder king that either Jeff or I have ever seen.
It was a great day and the bite was continuous.  A 2 fish limit for everyone!
The icing on the cake was that one of the kings was a white king. From the reports I've been hearing, there's been more and more white kings showing up in Kachemak Bay this year.  Many people think they're a delicacy, while others say they're no different than a "normal" king. The way I see it, it's a win/win situation no matter what.

For the week ahead, unless I get a bunch of texts from guys who haven't winterized their boats, I suspect the only fishing I may do is from the bank of a river.  Kenai, Kasilof, Anchor?   There are definitely choices available.

See you next week.



Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fishing machine, or fishing fool? Amazing.......

JT

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Update: Jeff said the white king had better flavor than a normal king.