Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Year of the Dock



Now, it's really over. When the dock comes out, our season is done.
There are a lot of things that I will remember about the 2018 season. Perhaps what I'll remember the most is the trouble I had putting the dock in the spring, and the trouble I had taking it out in the fall. I could see one day Jane and I reminiscing about seasons past and one of us would say, "remember the year we almost didn't get the dock in or out? That sucked. " 

The photo above is the "before" shot to show where the dock is stored for the winter. Tide comes up, the floating section is detached from the gang plank, and the dock is pushed onto the the flat, grassy area where it will rest until spring. In the past, I was always able to get the dock in and out with a minimum high tide of 22.7 feet. Not this year. I needed more water.
This is the "after" photo where the dock ended up when the tide started to drop. Even though it was stuck, I didn't hit the panic button just yet because the following day's tide was higher. Knowing that, did not keep me from wondering (for 24 hours) if that tide wasn't high enough, what then? My alternatives were not pretty.
Yes! Luckily, the 23.69 foot tide was high enough. As you can see, I had plenty of water to maneuver the dock to it's winter resting place.
I had a few small things to do to my boat after the dock was pulled and then the padlock went on the gate. The book is now closed on the 2018 season.

Sigh. I guess it's only seven short months until it's time to put the dock back in.......




1 comment:

Micheal Alexander said...

Thank you for your articles that you have shared with us. Hopefully you can give the article a good benefit to us. Ordinary Fish Mounts