Sunday, June 10, 2007

fishing update

My college roommate Bud was in town with his friend Todd and we hit the Kenai a couple of times. The sonar counts have been great this past week but unfortunately the Killey River dumped a load of mud into the Kenai and the catch rate has plummeted. Oh well, it was nice to visit with Bud and Todd. They'll be back a couple of times this summer and I'm sure we'll get even with those salmon!!!!

On the upside, I had a group of three on Saturday and the water conditions improved greatly. We managed to boat one king and had one other opportunity but missed (drive by bite). Rumor on the river has it that the king escapement numbers have reached the minimum and they'll be opening it up to bait on Tuesday. It would be nice. I have a full week ahead and I know that bait will make a difference in our catch rate. Rumors run wild on the river from guide boat to guide boat so I'm cautiously waiting for the official announcement from the Dept. of Fish and Game. I'd hate to be trolling bait on Tuesday and find out it hasn't opened yet.

Tight lines.

No comments: