Friday, June 1, 2007

goodbye May, hello June

I'm glad May is over. In all my years of fishing the Kenai, this was the slowest ever. "Slow" or "slowest" is a fisherman's term for goose egg, nada, zilch, zippo, zero, shut out, etc, etc. This is the first May for me where we didn't land a king salmon. Usually we'll catch half dozen to a dozen every year but this year it was "slow." It wasn't just for me; all my guide friends said the same thing.

Today is June 1st and it's a different month.

Andy & Jeremy were fishing with me this morning. We finally broke out of the slump when Jeremy landed a beautiful 40" hen. I am happy for Jeremy because his perserverance paid off big time. This was his seventh time fishing king salmon (not all with me) and this was his first king ever on the Kenai. He's watched plenty of kings being caught. In fact, he asked Andy how many he caught last July. Andy didn't hesitate and said he caught 6. He can tell you where, when, what color, everything about the 6 kings. Andy knows they're a special fish and after landing one Jeremy now knows it. He's obviously hooked and it will be hard for him not to come back and do it again.

Tomorrow will be our halibut day. They are calling for 2 foot seas in Kachemak Bay. That's not good news, that's great news. Update later.

No comments: