Monday, July 16, 2012

Fishing Report Week Ending 7/16/12

After this past week I am now the unofficial guide to Team Denmark.  From left to right is Mogens, Aksel, and Preben all from Copenhagen, Denmark.   About half of my groups cancelled last week due to catch and release measures on Kenai kings.  These guys were on unaffected by the changes and said, "let's go fishing."   I'm glad they did.
Mogen's had the hot hand king fishing.  He managed to catch three.
Here's a picture of his first, and largest king salmon.   I'll estimate the weight at 45lbs.
Here's a photo of a 35lb king that Aksel caught.  During our fishing Aksel mostly held on to his rod as we trolled.  If he turned his back to me I would often grab his rod and this would fool him into thinking he had a bite.  Well,  one time he turned back to look at me just as I was about to grab his rod.  We laughed because I was caught and not 5 seconds later this fish grabbed his spin 'n glo.  Who had the last laugh on this one?  Besides this fish Aksel caught another one and since his brother Preben had not caught one he let him fight it.  Truly an unselfish gesture on his part.
 We took a break during a king trip and decided to fish for reds. 
 Here are the fruits of their labor.
A Danish toast to the salmon gods after a good day of fishing.

Jane and I had a great time visiting with these guys.  They've been coming to Alaska for 23 years and until this year they were campers.   Did they enjoy their adventures on the Kenai and their stay at Beaver Creek Cabins?  You bet.  Before they left they booked for next year.   They said it doesn't matter if it's catch and keep, or catch and release they're coming back to the Kenai.

Tight lines!

p.s.  the reds are in and they're in thick.

No comments: