Monday, July 2, 2012

Fishing Report Week Ending 7/2/12


Nothing but a halibut report for you this week. 

Late Tuesday night I got a call from my good friend Boo Kandas of Tall Tale Charters and he said he had two seats available the next morning for a halibut trip out of Homer.   He said the ocean has been calm and the fishing has been really good.   I didn't hesitate to grab the seats and I'm glad I did. 


What an incredible day.  The weather was gorgeous and the boat landed nearly a hundred halibut.   The only other species we managed to catch were skates and Jane was the Queen.   She muscled up 5 of these beasts.  If you've ever caught one before you know exactly what I mean by muscling.  As my buddy Steve would say, "a skate could tow a halibut backwards."

Here's Jane and Capt. Boo holding up a couple of nice eating halibut.   Incidently, Boo is the guy that we've been recommending to our guests for saltwater trips out of Homer.  He's a great fisherman and the guy is an absolute riot.....and, no, he is not the Unabomber In Training.  

Tomorrow the Kenai reopens to guided king salmon fishing.  I'm excited for two reasons: 1) being off the river for 12 days has made me a bit stir crazy, and 2) I have Dan and Mary Meyer and their granddaughter Ellie in the boat.  I can't wait.

One last comment, on Saturday Mack and Carol Padgett had their 3rd Ever Pig Roast.  It was a beautiful evening of food, spirits, and conversation.   Jane and I would like to thank them for including us and hope it's not another ten years before they host the next one.

Fish on!

3 comments:

Dave Anderson said...

Somebody told me those skate wings can be punched to make low end scallops. I know they are a pain to get up!

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Most people just punch them and then let 'em go....

Keith

Anonymous said...

They don't look like 'mushy' halibut. You must be in the right area.
peter