Sunday, September 23, 2012

Fishing Report Week Ending 9/24/12

Careful for what you wish for.

On my last report I said the weather forecast for the week ahead called for rain.  Holy cow, were the meteorologist right.  So right that on Friday the governor of Alaska declared the Kenai Peninsula Borough a state disaster area.


Luckily, I didn't have a full week of guided fishing so every couple of hours I could run down to the dock and bilge the water out of the boats.  When I wasn't around Dan Meyer did it for me.
On Tuesday, I had a trip and I decided to take a twirl down the river to see if there was any damage from all the rain.   All up and down the bluff by the sonar counter, trees were washed down into the river.   Many of the homes that sit atop the bluff are perilously close to falling into the river.  It's a mess and my guess is that these trees will not be gone until the spring ice break up.
This is the clay bank just downstream from Beaver Creek (for all you Blinn guys this is where you stand to watch for bears).  For the last four days, this has looked like a waterfall and as I write it hasn't slowed down.
 Another photo of the bluff and the damage that has been done.
Here's the only photo this week of sunshine.  I was hoping to have many photos of Dan and Mary Meyer with their fish but I guess this will have to do.   With the challenges of high and muddy water,  I wasn't too eager to be guiding.  I tried hard to talk these two out of fishing but they were adamant and said this is why they are here.  They said they'd take their chances and enjoy their time on the water, fish or no fish.  Wow, I can't say enough about these two.
Well here it is, the only fish photo from this past week  This is Bruce Warden holding up one of the two silver salmon that we caught all week.   Bruce was up here spending time with his son Aaron.  All I can say is they both receive the "Atta Boy" award for patiently waiting for a bite. 



Crazy photo during a crazy week, right?  This story deserves more than just a sentence or two so I'm teasing you with this until my next post.                                                                                                

Until then, stay dry!                                                                                                                                  

                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                 


5 comments:

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Just a quick update, the Kenai River has been closed to all boating until the rising flood waters subside.

Keith

Dave Anderson said...

That's one hell of a last picture!! I can't wait. And to think, the Mississippi looks like it's close to record lows as it hasn't rained here in 2 months.

Dave Anderson said...

That's one hell of a last picture!! I can't wait. And to think, the Mississippi looks like it's close to record lows as it hasn't rained here in 2 months.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you guys were fairing during all the rain and flooding.
peter

Mack said...

Thanks for the news from the Creek. We pulled the boat and the dock today and I'm self medicating.

All we can do is hope for a better season next year.

Team Pabst