Sunday, June 22, 2014

Fishing Report Week Ending 6/22/14


Spent the past week fishing the Russian River.   ADFG has reported that the red run at the Russian is strong and at its peak. Don't get me wrong, fishing was mostly good, but as the week wore on the fishing got slower and slower.   Last Sunday a school of salmon would move through numbering 20-30 fish.  Today, the school, if you could call it that, would have 2-3 fish.   When the run is strong you stay put. When it starts to tail off you need to move and move often.


I mostly fished with Dan Meyer this past week.  That's Dan in the photo above patiently waiting for the next school of salmon to come through.   I'm not sure if the people standing above him were worried about his flipping technique (avoiding a hook in the head), or if they thought Dan would get all the fish in that spot. Whatever the reason, it's always nice to have a little distance while fishing the Russian.


Here's a couple of salmon that were put on a plane to Peoria (Dan's hometown).

My preference when fishing the Russian River is to leave around 3:00am so I can be fishing by 4:30am.  I have found the river is less congested and the people who are willing to fish that early understand the rules of the road (etiquette).   It's a great time to be there.  A couple of times this past week I could not be there until afternoon. The photo above is what you're faced with if you don't get out early in the morning.

And, this is another shot looking downstream.   Social, ain't it?

For the week ahead I have no concrete plans of where I'm fishing.   I've heard reports that the Kasilof River has been doing well for red salmon so I may check that out.   All I know is this looking for places to fish stuff will be ending soon.   Unless ADFG makes an announcement soon, the Kenai River will reopen to king salmon fishing on 7/1.   It will be nice to get back in the saddle again.

See you next week.