Sunday, October 26, 2014

Hunting Report: Admiralty Island, Day 3

Sunday morning came and the boat was right were it should be.  How about the deer, were they where they should be too?



We made it over to Admiralty Island with no hitches.  Our plan was to hunt a series of muskegs just south of where we hunted on Friday. We had less wind, and rain, which meant our hunting conditions were much better.

Todd, hunted Buffalo Springfield style.  "It's time we stop.  Hey, what's that sound?  Everybody look what's going down."


Me, on the other hand, pretended I knew what I was doing. I may dress like a hunter, but I'm that guy that had to borrow a rifle to go on a hunt (thanks, Todd).


Since this was his backyard, Mark definitely knows what he's doing. Here he is surveying the muskeg after making a series of deer calls. You could tell Mark is good because he's wearing a Stormy Kromer hat (right, Dave?).



Todd didn't always hunt Buffalo Springfield style.  Here he is patiently waiting for a deer to come into view.

Unfortunately, on this day, no deer would show itself (sorry if I let down any of my readers).  Oh, it was encouraging that we saw more signs than we did on Friday, but the deer definitely won.  Ah, but next time......


Since I've been back to Kenai I've had time to reflect on my adventure with Todd and Mark. I knew in advance that this time of year was not the best time to hunt deer.  However, this happened to be the only time that all three of us could get together to do this. I would say this trip is perhaps summed up best by paraphrasing a sign that Will Jahrig keeps in his shop. "The least important part of hunting is hunting."

100% success for me.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice series of non fishing stories.