Thursday, February 1, 2018

Celestial Happenings

photo credit: weekfacts.com
I was excited this past week when the local news report said that on January 31st, Alaska would be one of the best places to see the lunar event known as the Super Blue Blood Moon. This happens when the moon is at it's closest point to earth (super moon), along with two full moons in the same month (blue moon), which is then coupled with a lunar eclipse (blood moon). The reason why Alaska is one of the better viewing areas, is because we are dark during the whole event. My favorite local television meteorologist, Jackie Purcell, said to be awake from 2:30am until 6:00am to see the entire eclipse. The best viewing would be at 4:30am. Her forecast called for clear skies throughout South Central Alaska. Right then and there I decided that would be the time I would get up.

I was eager to see this. Last fall I felt like I was robbed when most of the lower 48 got to see an incredible solar eclipse. This Super Blue Blood Moon would be the event I could tell all my friends I got to see and it would be awesome. And, if they didn't believe me I could show them all the cool photos I took on my iPhone.

The alarm went off and I immediately went to the windows on the west side of the house with iPhone in hand. I could see moon shadows and the outline of trees in our backyard. Oh yeah! I looked straight west. No moon. I looked overhead for stars. No stars. Crap. Clouds. Robbed again. So much for the clear sky forecast for Kenai, Jackie. Thanks for nothing.

Sure, I was disappointed but there is a bright side to this. The previous Super Blue Blood Moon occurred 152 years ago. Thankfully, I only have to wait 10 years before I'll have the chance to see the next one.

Okay Copernicus, this little story is all fine and dandy, but are you going to write about fishing anymore?

Yes. I promise next week I will. In fact, it will be about ice fishing at a local lake.




Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service

No comments: