Thursday, January 25, 2018

Quake



At 12:32 a.m. on 1/23/18 my sleep was interrupted by the familiar movement of an earthquake. After the huge temblor I experienced two years ago, any little shifting of the earth makes me think it could easily morph into something much, much bigger. In other words, I was not comfortable when the house slowly started to shake.


Fortunately, the duration of this earthquake was short-lived. My relief did not last long when an emergency alert chimed on my phone warning of an impending tsunami. As instructed, I listened to local news and noted the tsunami forecasts for coastal Alaska and British Columbia. After several landfalls came and went with no appreciable change in wave heights (the most was less than 6” in Kodiak) the tsunami alert was cancelled. Whew. That was lucky. 

Needless to say, I didn’t get a whole lot of sleep Tuesday. One thing I thought about was the ice conditions on Beaver Creek. Did the quake affect it? As soon as the sun came out I walked down the dock to check it out. No change upstream. 

No change down stream. If you are wondering about the large chunks of ice, that is normal. That’s just how a tidal river/creek freezes. 

If there is a silver lining to this event it’s that our federal and state government have put in place an effective, coordinated emergency alert system. My fingers are crossed that the post tsunami plan is just as effective as the pre tsunami plan. I hope I never have to find out. 


No comments: