Sunday, January 14, 2018

.....Looking Forward To 2018

This is my goal for 2018.

I know it doesn't carry the same weight as giving away a car, but for me this means everything. It doesn't always happen this way, but that is my goal every single fishing trip: you get a salmon, and you get a salmon, and you get a salmon....

So, what's the realistic expectation for 2018?

I think the king salmon run will continue the trend of going up, but still below the historic peak. I'm expecting ADFG to confirm my hunch in the not so distant future.

How about the red run? I reported earlier ADFG's projection for 2018. I think it will be average/to below average at best. Timing will be everything.

What about the silver run? Usually, on an even year, the silver run is stronger than on an odd year. Of course, the operative word is "usually". 2017 was a very good year so I expect 2018 to be even better.

Finally, the prediction that all of you've all been waiting for: the humpy (pink) forecast. The last run on the Kenai was down, but what returned was huge. How huge? Well, the state record humpy was broken twice in the same day. You read that right, twice in the same day! I will step out on a limb and predict that the record will not be broken again in 2018. What I do expect is the normal 3-4 week "hump fest" and my back and arms will be working in over drive. Get ready to turn the volume up to 11.

Well, that's it. That is my forecast on a cold winter day. Clearly, Oprah and I like what we see for the Kenai River in 2018.

Edit: This article was written before the Golden Globes. There are no political endorsements, expressed or implied.




Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service



3 comments:

King George said...

My forecast is that I will enjoy the majestic walk down the Beaver Creek Cabins’ walkway and smile as we run up the Kenai to Eagle Rock. I’ll enjoy not raising my hand as you tell your stories because I’m a repeater too. I’ll enjoy the smiles on the faces of my fishing buddies as some of them soak up the sights and scenes of the Keani for the first time. With the cooperation of the Kenai King and Kenai’s # 1 guide, my biggest smile will come when I’m holding the net as one of my buddies lands that first mighty King, creating a memory for a lifetime. See you in July!

King George said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JamesLynch said...

Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers? I'm hoping to start my own website soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Cheers! apartments for rent in pompano