Sunday, April 14, 2019

Kenai Profiles: Miller/Stacken

Kim Miller, Gene Miller, Mike Stacken, and Jodie Stacken
Spring is in the air and if all goes well the dock will go in next week. Before the season gets under way, I thought it would be a good time to right a wrong and profile a group that I've overlooked for far too long. It's the Miller's and Stacken's. 
Dick Miller
The year Jane and I bought Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service we really didn't have time to market our business. The second year we were more aggressive. Besides increasing our web presence, we attended multiple sport shows, and began an ad campaign in a weekly publication called Outdoor News.
Kim Miller
The ad we were running in Outdoor News had been out for several weeks and we were a little disappointed that we hadn't received any calls. The renewal was coming and conveniently we received a voice mail message from a lady who saw our ad and had questions about traveling to Alaska. The timing of the call was suspect. Don't ask me how I know, but I've seen this practice in the advertising world; sales people posing as potential customers to make it seem like the ad is generating calls. My suspicion grew when we played phone tag on multiple occasions and would never speak to the caller. 
Jodie Stacken
We were about to give up on this "sales lead" when the phone rang and we finally connected with Jodie Stacken. After several questions, she booked a June trip for her, her husband Mike, and their friends Dick and Kim Miller. At the time, we would have never guessed what this contact would lead to. To quote Humphrey Bogart in the movie Casablanca, "....this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Mike Stacken
We knew these guys were from Minnesota, but on their first trip to Alaska we were surprised to find out the Miller's and the Stacken's owned lake cabins 20 miles from where Jane and I grew up. Small world.
Mike Stacken
Since their first trip to Alaska in 2005, it's become apparent that Alaska has connected with them. When asked, Kim thought they've been back 10 or 11 times. 
Jenny Miller
And they liked it so much they've shared the Alaska experience with family and friends as well.
Dick and Gene Miller
When it comes to the outdoors, I'm a one trick pony. What I mean by that is it's all about the fish for me. On the other hand, these guys are a bit more rounded and all four of them are avid hunters. Even though I don't do much hunting, I love to hear stories about it. What I like even more than the stories, is when they travel to Alaska, they bring a cooler full of venison. Whatever they don't eat they leave with us (they need the room to bring back their salmon).  All the venison is processed by them, and I'm here to tell you it's the best I've ever had.
Gene Miller and some random guy on the dock...
This fish is a great memory for me and anytime I can post it I will. This is the first king salmon that Gene caught on the Kenai. It took us quite a few years of trying, but the wait was definitely worth it. Whenever I see Gene I tell him his fish was on my bucket list and I was so happy to be able to cross it off. He says it's pretty special too.
Gene Miller, Jake Miller, Dick Miller, and Mike Stacken
They're not always about the king salmon. They're also pretty good at catching red, pink, and silver salmon as well.
Dick Miller, Gene Miller, a random guy running the boat, Mike Stacken, and Jake Miller
Whenever Jane and I are back in Minnesota, we make it a point to get together with the Miller's and Stacken's. Whether it's getting together for dinner, to watch a hockey game, or even ice fishing, their company is always appreciated.
Kim Miller
I'm ending this post by saving the best for last. Of all my king photos, this is one of my all time favorites. Kim was the first person to really embrace her fish and wasn't afraid to get slimed up. Smiles for the both of us.

Dick, Kim, Mike and Jodie...Jane and I really value your friendship.



Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service

No comments: