Sunday, April 7, 2019

Thor Robertson...Norse God.


Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor...
Fish whackers, fish clubs, whatever you want to call them, they’re an important implement in a salmon fisherman’s box of tools.  

And, they’re unique. As unique as the person using them. Click here to read a previous blogpost about the different fish whackers in my lineup. 

For 2019, I have a new fish whacker that my friend Will Robertson crafted for me. The handle is made of ipe, and the head, bois d’arc. Ipe is a Brazilian hardwood that is so dense it won’t float. Bois d’arc is native to Will’s home state of Texas. It’s exceedingly hard, and resistant to wear and water. According to Will, bois d’arc was used in WWI (and before) as the gasket around a prop shaft.  

Mjölnir! Thunder and Lightning! Thanks Will. Can’t wait to give the old wood shampoo to a few salmon this season.





Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service

2 comments:

Rod White said...

I've been hoarding the last two pieces of salmon from my trip last fall, but they're going to hit the grill pretty soon. My brothers and I can't wait to fill up a couple more boxes of silvers in September. Hopefully, that new fish billy club will be well broken in by then.

Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service said...

Hey Rod. I sure hope the silver run will be strong for you. If not, we’ll have to raid Dan’s freezer....ha!