Saturday, August 19, 2017

Fishing Report Week Ending 8/20/17


Giddy up. Hi Ho Silver! 

No doubt, the peak of the first silver salmon run is happening right now . It's been so good that I actually had the time to get Jane out fishing for the first time this year. How's that for a first fish?
I started the week out with Team Iowa. Vaughn and Karen found this nice limit of fish on an incoming tide.
Team Minnesota (or 3/4's Brainonian) had a nice morning on the Kenai. That's Ken, Heidi, Gina, and Daryl. These guys were finishing up their Alaskan vacation by staying and fishing with us. I was a little worried about how the day would go because the last time they were here Gina only caught a dolly varden trout. I was relieved when she finally reeled a salmon into the net. Hey guys, it was great visiting with you. We look forward to seeing you again real soon.
The next morning, Ken and Daryl joined Montana Dave. I can honestly say I've never heard such an in depth conversation in my boat about cattle and ranching. It sure made for an interesting day.
I snuck Jane out on another afternoon of fishing. Took her about 20 minutes to get her limit.

I finished the week off fishing Frank, Brad, Marc, and Gavin. We had seven in the box in short order, but it took an hour and a half to get the last one to bite. When you get down to one rod fishing, it always takes a little bit longer to find the right seam where the fish are. That's part of the fun, and part of the challenge, of a silver salmon trip.

So, what about the week ahead? I expect the river to be about the same. I hope I'm right. Not only do I have a couple of more trips with the guys above, I also have some friends showing up and it would be nice to get them on a good bite.

See you next week.





No comments: