Sunday, June 2, 2019

Fishing Report Week Ending 6/2/19


I didn't plan on giving a fishing report this week because my sister, Heidi, and my cousin Robin were visiting and the plan was to show them the sights of Southcentral Alaska. That changed when I received a call from Greg and Leslie asking if I could take them out Saturday morning. How was the fishing? Not bad at all. Greg caught one nice king salmon, which was released per May/June regulation change. Leslie, though, was not as fortunate. At least she'll get the opportunity to even the score in July.
The Kenai River experience has been marvelous so far. Decent fishing, and so few people on the water. Twice I was on the river this past week. Once for a tour with family, and the other, a fishing trip. On the tour I saw zero boats. Fishing a six mile stretch on a Saturday in June, I saw 4 boats. That's right, 4 boats on the world famous Kenai River. Sure, being on a catch and release restriction (until 6/30) has obviously affected people who fish for food. But, for people who fish to recreate and decompress from the world, you couldn't ask for a better time.
Speaking of better times, the best time for me is to spend time with family. Here's my sister Heidi, cousin Robin, Jane, and I in Seward.  Aunt Dotty and cousin Rhonda were going to come too, but unfortunately, health reasons kept the two of them from joining us. On the next go round they both plan on being here.

Here we are at Exit Glacier near Seward.

And here we are on the Kenai River. Heidi has been on the river many times, but I had to show Robin where my office is and where Uncle Bert liked to fish. My dad, her Uncle Bert, is no longer with us so it was nice to have a memorial where he caught his first king salmon 34 years ago. 
On Wednesday, Heidi, Robin, and Jane spent the day in Homer. I would have joined them, but I've been on a grand jury since April and this is the day of my civic duty. You're welcome Kenai Peninsula borough...

Heidi and Robin's original Alaska plan had them spending their last two days in Talkeetna to see Mac. With a little bit of cajoling, they were able to get Jane to go with them. Here are Mac, Madison, Robin, Jane, Heidi, and Kiana having a leisurely dinner.

It was quite a week. Lots of stories, lots of laughing, lots of epic scenery, and a lots of great meals. I'm sad to see them go, but am buoyed by one topic discussed: a possible family reunion hosted at Beaver Creek Cabins. I hope it can come together. Family, friends, and fishing. Life is pretty good.

See you next week.






Beaver Creek Cabins & Guide Service




No comments: