Monday, September 16, 2013

Fishing Report Week Ending 9/16/13

I promised you a photo of the pink parka and by golly I got one.  Here's Judy Kingsbury holding the first silver of the day.    As one of Judy's friends so accurately described her, "she's tougher than an eight year old squirrel."   I agree.   I really have to take my hat off to Judy, Bob, and Ken.   They were here during some nasty conditions with not a lot of fishing being caught (they also crossed paths with a hungry seal and a 45lb king).   They did, however, catch enough silvers to fill up a fish box but they put in a lot of time to do it.   When they left they said, "see you next year".  Jane and I look forward to it. 



This past week I had the privilege of being invited to guide participants in Senator Lisa Murkowski's Women's Classic.   This is a two, half-day fishing event for women.  


Here's a river networking session.  Think they're having fun?   This photo reminds me of a sign that Will Jahrig has in his shop.  It says, "Fishing is the Least Important Part of Fishing."  


One thing that was fun for me during this event was watching Melanie catch her first fish ever.  She fished in the event last year but said she didn't catch a thing.   Not only did she reel this fish in like she's done it her whole life, but she also bonked the fish and bleed it as well.   She said she wanted the whole experience and she got it.  Job well done, Mel.

I'll have to say the overall fishing for the two day event was reasonable considering the Kenai River was at flood stage (once again!).    Most participants caught at least one fish with a few lucky anglers catching their limit.


After my morning trips at the Women's Classic, I got to take out Dan and Mary Meyer for a couple of hours.  I'm glad we did because the bite was pretty good.


Here's Mary proudly holding her 15lb silver on Friday.   Dan conceded that Mary bested him for the biggest silver caught during their stay.
 
 

Here's their catch on Saturday just before they had to get on their flight back to Peoria.   Look at the size of these fish!   As Dan said with his tongue firmly planted in cheek, "the second run mosquitos are much bigger than the first run."    Jane and I hate to see you guys go but it won't be too long before we'll see each other at a sport show this winter.

Finally, one of the great reasons why I like fall fishing.....fishing with Jane.   My Sunday trip cancelled which meant Jane and I could go out and enjoy the fishing and the weather.   It's a win-win for me.

This next week should be a good week for fishing.   The river has started to drop which means the water clarity is improving.   Clearer water means better fishing.   I look forward to finding more of these second run giants.


    

No comments: