Sunday, September 1, 2013

Fishing Report Week Ending 9/2/13

It's Labor Day today.  To some, it's a day off from work, but for me it's day to think of the social and economic achievements of the American worker.   I'm glad to live in this country.

So, on to the fishing report.     I'm starting off with a photo of the last day of the guide week which was September 1st.    The limit for silvers on the Kenai increases on this day from 2 to 3 fish per person.  Based on the previous couple of days I thought we would have to fish well into the afternoon to get the boat limit.   What I forgot to figure in were the people that I had scheduled for the day:  Duane and April Schuman,  Dan and Mary Meyer.   I don't like using the word "epic" but by mid morning I sure thought about it.   Some nice silvers with two fish weighing close to 14 pounds.   Wow, what a great day (epic?) with great people.  
The day before I got to spend the day with Team Laflamme.    I can't tell you how much I look forward to spending time with these guys.      We always make it day on the water and go out when it feels right (instead of O' dark Thirty).  We were just getting settled in when this beautiful fish hit Janet's lure.   As she set the hook she said, "Oh, blank, Holy blank...."   I'm still laughing at her descriptive language as I type.  
Not long after Janet landed her fish, Todd said to his dad,  "do you want to catch a fish today?"   Bob responded, "hey, if you get 'em, you get 'em".   Just as he finished his sentence I said "you got one".  Sure enough his fishing rod had doubled over with this fish.   Classic Laflamme and this is why I can't wait to see these guys in 2014. 
Janet came down from Anchorage this past June to fish king salmon with me but since it closed I took her red fishing on the Russian River.   I told her you really ought to try silver fishing and she took me up on it.   Here she is holding a morning limit of Kenai silvers.   Always wanting to experience all that she can, Janet wanted to try her hand at trout fishing.   I really don't do this but decided I should step out of my comfort zone and try it.   I'm glad I did.   We caught trout every single drift.   Although not huge by Kenai standards, Janet did land a rainbow that was nearly 5 pounds.  Hmmm, I might have to rethink this whole trout fishery thing.......
 
Here's Marion, Travis, and Betty with their catch.  I was little disappointed that the bite wasn't better and told them we should go back out after dinner and see if we can find two more.  They took me up on it.
We didn't get the last two but we did get one more.   Here's Betty showing off her nice 12 pound Kenai silver.

The week ahead is busy for me and and I'm encouraged how this past week ended.  Hopefully there will be a steady pulse of fish all week long.   But, if not, you know there will be a steady pulse of stories coming from yours truly....

See you next week with a recap.

No comments: