Monday, September 23, 2013

Fishing Report Week Ending 9/23/13

 Kenai double!


That's a wrap.   Unless I get a call before I take the dock out on October 6th, the 2013 guiding season has ended for me.   I'll keep on fishing until the dock is out but that's it for clients.   Too bad, because the fishing has been steady and the temperatures have been reasonable.


At the start of the week I had the pleasure of spending the day with Anderson, Steve, and Shihab.   These guys flew in from Texas at 1:00am, drove down from Anchorage, and met me on the dock before the sun came up.   Quite a commitment from three guys who had never been to Alaska before.   As soon as we got out on the water there was a hot bite but before too long it shut down.  I suggested they take a long break (i.e. hot lunch and a nap) and come back out in the afternoon.
We set a time and here's what they caught after they had their break.

Next on my guiding schedule was my annual fishing adventure with Team ABC Seamless of Southcentral Alaska.   The "B Team", consisting of James, Nick, Wally, and Jeff, fished on Friday and had quite a few opportunities to limit out.   What they are holding are the fish that found the net.   Not a bad day at all.
  

On Saturday the "A Team" showed up and put a few more fish in the box than the "B Team".   That's Brian, Jeff, Karel (Deuce), and Coop on the dock.   I'd like to say thanks guys for coming down and spending a couple of days with me.    It's always great to share stories from trips of the past and to eat a half dozen monster cookies.

My last guided trip of the year was set for Sunday with Lloyd and Kim.  Since they arrived early on Saturday I asked if they wanted to go out that evening.  With a firm, "hell ya" we headed out on the dinner cruise.   I'm glad we did because we had pretty good action in a short amount of time.
On Sunday, our scheduled day, the action was not as good but we managed to finish the day with a respectable haul.   Thanks Lloyd and Kim for ending my season on a positive note.
Finally, thought I'd show you a photo of fish that, according to ADF&G, doesn't exist in the Kenai River.   On Tuesday, Shihab thought he caught his last silver salmon of the day but it turned out to be a 29" steelhead.   How do I know it was a steelhead and not a rainbow trout?   If you look real close, in the middle of the fish there is a sea lice attached to the skin.   Steelhead migrate from freshwater to saltwater and back and can carry the sea lice parasite.  Rainbow trout are in freshwater and will never have sea lice.  Kinda cool.

This week I plan on winterizing one of my boats and a cabin or two.  I also plan on fishing as much as I can.  Come back next week for a current report on everything Kenai.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to end your guiding season. I bet you and Jane will have some fun until the dock comes in.

JT

Dave Anderson said...

So, send them the picture!