Monday, September 30, 2013

Fishing Report Week Ending 9/30/13

This past week we endured our third flood since mid August.   The rising water made fishing difficult and the few times I did get out the fishing was not that great.   Tuesday evening Dan and I got out and put one silver in the box.  My neighbor Mack and I went out Saturday morning and managed a single bite but no fish.   The best bite of the week happened yesterday.   Some friends of mine from Anchorage came down to fish with Carolyn and Franz.  These two are from Germany and they're attending the University of Alaska Anchorage on Track and Field scholarships.   They were very enthusiastic to be on their first salmon fishing trip of their lives.   We missed at least six fish but managed to land these two.  When Carolyn caught her fish she said, "I've been in Alaska for a year and a half and this is the best day EVER!"  It was her first fish, her biggest fish, and the most fish she has ever caught....a Kenai trifecta.
  
Franz told me if he caught a fish he wanted to take a bite out of it like a bear.   Here he is prepping the fish.
And here is Franz taking a bite out of the fish.  He said it was good and I'll take him at his word.  Needless to say I'll never forget this.

Thought I'd include this graph from the US Geological Service.  You can see the spike in the water levels this week and also how high the water levels are compared to the 48 year median average.

The boat is still on the dock and I have a half dozen sardines I need to use.  I plan on getting out a few more times before the boat is winterized for the season.  I'd like to see if the dropping water levels will help the fishing or if they 2013 silver salmon run is done and in the records books.  I'll have five more days to see.

See you next week.

1 comment:

cedarslodge said...

Fishing is a sport which is equally alluring in every season. Even in winters fishing enthusiast can go out for ice fishing in winters. This fishing report will help the one who wants to bundle up, get outside and try fishing in a chilling day as well.

Shopping in Ketchikan